Boot with the BartPE CD
- run regedit
- Select the HKEY_USERS hive
- rom the File menu, choose the Load Hive option. Browse to your Windows installation drive, for example the following location: C:\Windows\System32\Config\
- Select the file named SOFTWARE (the file without any extensions), and click Open
- Type a name for the hive that you’ve loaded now. (Example: MyXPHive)
- Now the SOFTWARE hive is loaded, and present under the HKEY_USERS base hive.
- In order to fix the Userinit value in the loaded hive, navigate to the following location: HKEY_USERS \ MyXPHive \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
- Double-click Userinit and set it’s value correctly. Example: Set it’s data as follows: C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,
- After entering the correct data, you MUST unload the Hive. To do so, select MyXPHive branch, and then in the File menu, choose Unload Hive. It’s important to note that you’ll need to select the MyXPHive branch first, before unloading it.