- Insert the BartPE CD into the drive, and boot the system from the CD. Once the file loading phase is over, the Bart PE desktop will be visible
- Type Regedit.exe in the prompt, and press Enter. Select the HKEY_USERS hive
- From the File menu, choose the Load Hive option. Browse to your Windows installation drive, for example the following location:
- Select the file named SOFTWARE (the file without any extensions), and click Open
- Type a name for the hive that you’ve loaded now. (Example: MyXPHive)
- Now the SOFTWARE hive is loaded, and present under the HKEY_USERS base hive.
- After editing, you MUST unload the Hive. To do so, select MyXPHive branch, and then in the File menu, choose Unload Hive. It’s important to note that you’ll need to select the MyXPHive branch first, before unloading it.